Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Iced Bush

Driving through Somerset I saw a patch of white in the hedge row up ahead.


It’s usually plastic sheeting blown off a truck or similar. As I drew alongside it turned out to be an icicle bush.



I have heard of frost-pockets and micro-climates but this was bizarre



On closer inspection it turned out that under the bush there was a small hole next to a water stop cock or something I could not be arsed to investigate further.


I assume this is the source of the water. When not frozen, the water pools on the road. 


As cars go by they splash water from the pool over the bush. When the temperature is sub-zero the water freezes on the bush.

But this will only work if the road is warm enough to keep the pool liquid but cold enough to freeze it on the bush.


 
A narrow window of opportunity. Really rather marvellous.

No comments:

Post a Comment