Friday, May 24, 2013

Chelsea Flower Show - History of the wheelbarrow...

In the early days, before mechanical handling, rocks and other gardeny things were manhandled and carried in wheelbarrows which were carved from solid oak and weighed a couple of tons when empty.


Wheelbarrows have progressed since then. Four early iterations are shown here, with their principal usurper lurking in the background.  


An alternative view of the same thing...


This is a hybrid barrow from John Deere.




And here are some more...


I'm bored now... can I stop? 

[Yes - Ed.]


2 comments:

  1. I've linked a photo, and this post, on my (new) wheelbarrow blog.

    I would love to know the origin of your last image there, the very-many wheelbarrows in miniature.

    The mention of your blog and link are here:
    http://wheelbarrowthings.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/chelsea-flower-show-wheelbarrow-year.html

    (I removed my first attempt at this post because of a formatting deformity A deformatty.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the tardy reply. I think it came from the Internet...

      Delete